How to Get a Levy Released from the IRS…

If your bank account or wages were recently levied, you should take the following steps:

1) First, you should ask for a copy of the levy information.  This will show you what agency levied your accounts.  You can be levied from various entities, such as Internal Revenue Service, State Tax Agencies, or other agencies for child support or court-ordered judgments.

2) After you determine that the levy was  from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), then you need to determine whether you were levied by a Revenue Officer who works at a field office near your home or if you were levied by the general IRS Service Center.   In order to determine this, you should look at past notices from the IRS to see if a Revenue Officer was assigned to the case.  If so, you or (preferably a representative) should call the Revenue Officer to determine what he/she will need for the levy to be released.

3) If you were not assigned to a Revenue Officer or you are unsure, you should call the Automated Collection Services (ACS) at the IRS to determine this.   ACS will let you know if a Revenue Officer is assigned to the case and should be able to give you the number to his/her field office.  If ACS states that you are not assigned to an Revenue Officer,  you (or preferably a representative) should speak with ACS to determine what you need to do to release the levy.

4) In general,  a Revenue Officer will request that Form 433-A be completed if you are an individual (as opposed to a business) and that all your past due returns be filed.  Additionally, if you are self-employed or not withholding enough at your current job, the Revenue Officer may request that you show increased withholdings on your W-2 or send in an estimated tax payment before the levy is released.  If you are assigned to ACS, then the representative will most likely request that Form 433-F be completed if you are an individual (as opposed to a business) and that all your past due returns be filed.  If you are able to meet these requirements, the ACS representative or Revenue Officer can immediately fax a release to your employer.

5) Along with the submission of Forms 433A or 433F if you are an individual (as opposed to a business), the Revenue Officer or IRS Representative may want certain documents, such as bank statements, paystubs, and proof of expenses like chid support payments, health insurance, etc.

6) Hiring a competent representative to deal with the Internal Revenue Service is very advantageous for a variety of reasons.   A competent representative (whether an enrolled agent, CPA, or attorney) will have alot of experience dealing with collection matters and will be helpful with predicting the questions asked by the Internal Revenue Service and the information you will need to get the levy successfully released. works extensively on these matters and can be reached at 1-800-777-3800.

Leave a Comment

Man Reviewing Tax Documents